Sunday, May 24, 2009

I should have seen it coming.

My parents split up over five years ago. They don't talk to each other anymore. These days they only have one thing in common (besides their offspring)... they're both hard-line Republicans. I've only recently begun to regret ever telling either of them that I didn't vote Republican in the last election. Not that either of them lost any kind of affection over me... but both of them have taken to sending me a link every little anti-Obama thing that makes it to their inbox. It's their way of saying "Just you wait... this country will be the worse for it!"

Mom... Dad... Look... if ever I think that my vote was cast in error, I'll be the first person to admit it. And trust me, I didn't just follow hype on Obama. I don't think he's the second coming. I think it's possible that he's in over his head with the economy. But I also firmly believe that the Republican party needs to take a step back and reorganize itself. I mean following up the Bush circus with that particular ticket was... well let's just say I'm not the only registered Republican who jumped ship.

I'm 40 years old... I'm a big boy now. Sheeesh

1 comment:

Lani said...

Oh, I hear you! I was also born and raised Republican and made the mistake of telling my parents that I had jumped ship. After a few years, the conservative spam slowed to a trickle, but it was still enough to raise my blood pressure every time I hit the delete button.