James and Susan brought their new baby (Adam) to youth orchestra rehearsal last Saturday. Cute kid. While I was waiting for my turn to conduct, I got a good 40 minutes in talking about daddy stuff with James. At one point he looked up away from Adam, who he was holding in his arms while doing a little sleepy-baby dance.
"Do you want a boy or a girl?"
"It doesn't really matter. Part of me wants a girl so I can spoil her. There's something about the father-daughter dynamic that's totally different. Of course, my family would like a boy, even if they're holding back from saying as much. "
"You know... I was a little relieved when we found out Adam was a boy. It wasn't pressure or anything, but I realized that... well having grown up as a boy I can help him along better. With a girl... I don't know... there's too many pitfalls that I don't understand."
Then he looked Adam, who was sound asleep, square in the face and said "If we have another little one, and it's a girl... you and I have to protect her! Deal?"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment