
**Warning**
While nothing I'm about to say is a spoiler, per-se, I may still discuss qualities of the film that you may wish to remain unknown until you've seen it for yourself.
Fairly warned be ye.
So... I saw the new Star Trek re-boot yesterday. It was quite an event. I saw it on an IMAX screen with about ten of my co-workers. It was one of those evenings that justify cinema as a social experience, not just an entertainment venue. Pre-show beach balls and everything.
The movie was good fun... watching the original series characters appear one-by-one, and seeing how the young actors give their best interpretations of well known personas. It was funny. The action was good. I didn;t quite like the set design for a lot of it (Abrams seemed to like to use industrial factories as backdrops, even for the insides of the star ships.) I also didn't like the transporter effect. Whatever.
But here's the interesting thing... the thing that will effectively split the pre-existing Star Trek fans: Abrams set it up so that he can continue with future projects without having to align the story elements to events in the original television series. (In an alternate reality kind of way.) Thus, he took a loophole that should give him some credibility with the fans, even though I'm sure a lot of them would prefer to see stories that ultimately link directly to the original series
timeline.
The thing is, if you give a Star trek fan a sound, scientifically based explanation for something in the story... they're kind of honor-bound to accept it (...ummm... not like scientifically valid in the real universe... just something that... you know... follows Trek logic.) Trekkies are kind of wierd that way.
Anyway, it's definitely worth the ticket price... and a good start to the summer movie run.

No comments:
Post a Comment