So here's my take on the recent passing of public figures:
Ed McMahon - So long, Ed. Out of everyone in his graduating class, I feel the least remorse for him, only because him lived a long full life. I hope for his sake that Carson doesn't expect him to follow him around in the afterlife announcing his appearances for eternity.
Farrah Fawcett - Ahhh, at the height of her influence, having a schoolboy-crush on Farrah a was a Y-Chromosome requirement. I salute her courageous, and very public struggle with cancer. My only regret is that the recent surge of "Charlie's Angels" marathons brings to the surface the glaring truth that 70s television was a cultural low-point for the human race.
Michael Jackson - While I'm certainly not happy at the gloved-one's passing, I am baffled.... BAFFLED by the recent attempts to deify him. Yes, he was /is a cultural icon who appears on a very short list of ultra-mega-super-stars... but the man beneath the image was a confused soul who lost touch with humanity at a very early age. I won't deny the legions of fans their grief, but the statements that he was "the most important figure in the history of music" grind my system. I am waiting for all the people who would/could financially benefit from his passing to get their fill and move on so that the media can find some other circus to follow. Honestly, I was an MJ fan a long long time ago, before Thriller even... I wore out a vinyl copy of Off The Wall when I was ten years old. Then I grew up and he... well I guess the best word is "evolved"
Billy Mays - I'll think of him everytime I reach for the OxiClean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
This is one of those moments where I'm glad to be in Sweden and relatively isolated from the American media frenzy. I totally agree with you about MJ, and listening to people deify him would make me sick. (Loved the Evolve image, by the way.)
Swedes have their own set of celebrities of course, but I find them easier to ignore.
Post a Comment