Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Conversations I need to have...

... with my soon-to-be-partner in parenting:

* I know you're frustrated with me a lot of the time because I'm the guy who stains the carpet, doesn't always do the dishes as fast as you like, doesn't clean as often as you like. I know I'm the guy who sometimes forgets things almost as soon as you tell me. I'm afraid that you're going to teach our son through the way that you react to me that his father is a slob, an idiot and a loafer. I once heard your sister tell her daughter "Let's go find your stupid father".... I know you're not her, but I can't get that moment out of my head.

* When you said "We have to be consistent with our child, we can't argue in front of him," you and I both know that means that I will end up agreeing with what ever course you decide. Our child will quickly learn who is in charge of the household.

* Things to remember: The price of getting your way is that you have to be responsible for making the decisions. The price of being the one who sets the expectations is that you are also responsible for communicating the expectations.

* I am putting faith in the thought that eventually, he will see me with his own eyes.

No comments: