Saturday, July 28, 2012

Just let it go already!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to do a lot of spouse -bashing here.  Sometimes I don't know where else to vent.

So... We took Cameron for his first haircut today.  My wife thought he would have fun, since we went to a kid's salon where the chairs were shaped like little cars and trucks.  I predicted he would freak out once the electric clippers came out.  I was right.

But that's not the thing I need to vent about - it's the fact that after 15 minutes of constant screaming (the likes of which I hadn't heard since his hospital visit), the hairdresser (the most patient woman in the world) finally said "Okay sweetie we're done."  My wife, who had been holding Cameron in his chair, and restricting his arms so that the hairdresser could do her job, looked up and said...  "Oh, it looks a little uneven on this side, could you just touch it up over here?"

Now, I know we were paying as little more because it was a 'specialty' establishment and all, but just once I wished she would sheath that "I'm getting my money's worth" attitude and end the torture we were inflicting on the poor kid.  The hairdresser looked at me.  I just shrugged and gave tried to give a look that said "I'm sorry, I don't make these decisions... I'm just the Dad"

Cameron was obviously trying to get out of the chair as fast as he could - and somehow the hairdresser managed to talk my wife out of having her pull out the clippers again.  Thank God.

Anyway... I got that out of my system...

In two weeks we're supposed to be taking Cameron on his first airplane ride.  I'll let you know how that goes.

1 comment:

Lantis Lani said...

How nice to see you back on this blog. My personal blog has probably been neglected for even longer. Go ahead and vent--that's what we're here for. I'm sorry to hear that your son found his first haircut so traumatic.

Lina's first airplane ride was when she was less than a year old, so that's probably not comparable, but I'll give you some unsolicited advice anyhow. If you're apprehensive about a situation, kids can pick up on that, and will become nervous also--a self fulfilling prophecy. So do your best to pretend, "Hey, this is an adventure; it's going to be fun! Yeah, it's really worth standing in lines for hours at a time, just like Disneyland. Isn't it exciting how we have to answer a bunch of stupid questions, get half undressed, and be poked and prodded all in the name of homeland security? Yup, this sure is great!" Also recommended are gum and or chewy candy (like Starburst) to help the ears during take offs and landings. Good luck!