I'm a liberal. There's no doubt about it. I fought it off for years, but I can't deny it anymore. I've been registered as a Republican ever since I turned voting age, but I just can't hang with the GOP anymore. This wasn't something I came to overnight - it was the result of years of watching elections and listening to people like Rush Limbaugh spew bigoted, closed-minded idiocy over the airwaves, through the cable and on the internet. Then came the 2008 election, I took one look at Sarah Palin and said "I'm sorry, I just can't do it..."
It's not like I went running to liberalism, and I'm well aware that the Democrats can be just as dogmatic and unyielding as any Republican... but when I stopped and took a personal inventory on my feelings about things like the economy, gun control, abortion and gay marriage - it kind of layed out there all in black and white.
I can't tell my parents - one of my dad's greatest moments in life was shaking hands with Reagan, and my mom is a total Tea-Partier. I'll have to just vote my conscience, and keep my mouth shut at Thanksgiving,
*Sigh*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I know! I tend to consider myself a recovering republican. Being raised in the hotbed of conservatism, registering republican is simply what one did. I'm not ashamed that I voted for George Bush Sr. I'll even admit that I voted for the Governator (considering the alternatives), but since then... it seem like the republicans are so caught up with protecting their own economic interests and promoting fear and intolerance that I no longer remember why I once identified with them. Usch, it's ugly. This may be the downfall of the two party system, and at this point, that might not be a bad thing.
Post a Comment