Monday, August 31, 2009

Letting Go Of Selfish Things

So, recently I've been tempted to buy a Playstation 3 Slim. I resisted the PS3 mainly because it was big, expensive, and lacked some of the features (Sony Bravia Sync) that I wanted. Well, now they managed to put all that into a smaller, cheaper package. The fact that there are a few games coming out that look really good doesn't help.

I have a stash of mad money saved up from private lesson and what not. I could buy one, and the wife wouldn't even know. But see, it isn't just a money thing. Every time I come to the conclusion that I can buy a PS3 without jeopardizing the baby-house fund, I immediately remind myself that I'm about to have a severe lack of free time to actually play it.

The good news is that in the end, patience will win out: Someday I'm sure we'll be purchasing a PS4 for my Cameron's birthday.

4 comments:

Lani said...

We bought a Wii for our daughter 2 Christmases ago. Last Christmas we added the Wii Fit balance board. I thought I'd use it to work out, but I don't like that it nags about how many months it's been since I last worked out.
At 7, our daughter is now coordinated to use the Wii, and some of her friends have Playstations. What is really worrying is the level of violence in many games. It's hard to find kid friendly games that aren't lame. So you might have quite a few years to wait before Cameron is ready for the latest Playstation, but then, you probably won't have time to use it until then either.

Maestro said...

"What is really worrying is the level of violence in many games."

Yup, violence and REALLY sketchy moral content *cough*GrandTheftAuto*cough*

Seems to be more of a Y chromosome thing, though. (Which is where I have to worry) Maybe he'll just be into "Guitar Hero 6"... or maybe he'll try to find the secret code that unlocks "nudity mode" in "Tomb Raider 15."

I suppose all of that would be better than Cameron growing up, moving to Korea and being one of those guys who lives in an apartment with six other dudes playing "World of Warcraft" all day, making a living by selling his game items on eBay.

Lani said...

A friend of mind bought GTA for her 6 year old son because he begged for it after playing at a friend's house (age appropriate is apparently a foreign concept in Denmark). She was shocked to discover what it was and had to take it away with the promise of buying him a different game. At 6 this boy is already totally addicted to his play station. He has no interest in sports, school, or anything else.

I'm not sure about the incident that triggered it, but my friend ended up taking the PS2 away for a while, and her son responded by yelling he wished she would die! Not the fun part of parenting.

I hope this kid doesn't end up in the apartment playing WoW all day.

Maestro said...

I'm *hoping* that I'll have the advantage of knowing what to avoid, having been at least a moderate gamer in my life. I know someone who works in the video game industry, and he's the one who told me how bad GTA was... said he refused to play it himself out of principal.

I also know how to do homework: So if Cameron asks for a particular game, I can look it up on the web, find reviews, look for the ESRB rating, etc.

Another mistake some parents make is assuming that all cartoons are inherently kid friendly. Half the anime out there caters to a sexually repressed society - with some of it at the X-rated level.