Sunday, April 5, 2009

House Hunting!

So, now that little Loofir is on the way, it's time for us to get out of this tiny one bedroom apartment and move into a house. The last time we went house hunting (years ago), it didn't go so well. We couldn't agree on what we liked. We didn't have a good realtor. The next thing you know, the market exploded and we were pushed out of the running.

But now the market is favoring buyers again (if you can get a loan) and we're back on the prowl. This time were on the same page and we have a goos realtor. We're looking in some areas that are nice, but not too pricy.

The only thing that gets me is that a lot of thre properties we're looking at are being sold by people who were hard-hit by the economy. We've seen a few sob stories... and it feels kind of wierd to be (potenitally) aking advantage of their misfortune.

I know, it's not my fault... but I feel bad for them, nonetheless.

I am, however, excited about the idea of not having to put up with the crappy parking in m apartment complex much longer.

1 comment:

Lani said...

How exciting! I'm happy for you both. As far as the sellers go, don't feel bad. They know that they have to sell the house they love, and they know it's not your fault. They know what the fair market value of their house is, even if they're losing money on it. The truth is, they'd probably be relieved to sell the place quickly once they've made the decision to sell. Otherwise it just prolongs the agony. Let the real estate agents discuss the money so that you don't have to hear the sob stories; that's what they're there for.

If you do meet the sellers, complement them on what they've done with the house (even if the first thing you'll do is change/undo it--save that discussion for in private). I know that it's much easier to sell your house to nice people who appreciate the house as much as you do than to jerks who are just after a bargain.

I've got lots more house shopping advice if you want it. ;)

Good luck!