I've always been closer to my mother than my father. I don't know why... maybe it's because I grew up in this country and he's a foreigner. Maybe it's because his career kept him from spending a lot of time around the house. Whatever... it's not anything I blame him for. But for whatever reason, I don't talk to my Dad as much as I do my Mom. I'm pretty sure he's aware.
I got to see my Mom and my sister on my birthday, but not my Dad. I got to talk to him on the phone, and he relayed a "happy birthday" from my brother. I feel kind of bad that I didn't make some time to see him. Well, he does live about an hour-and-a-half drive from here... but it there's something that stabs at me when I realize that my Mom made the drive up to see me and my Dad didn't... almost as if he didn't feel welcome.
Oh I don't know, maybe that isn't it at all. My Mom is a good deal younger than my Dad, and is up for longer drives than he is. Also, when he leaves the house, he has to worry about what my brother is doing in his absence. Yeah.. it's a big mess still.
Meanwhile, I haven't heard from my second sister, Amanda. She may have cut all ties with family at this point (Even though I didn't do anything to offend her... I think.....) She usually sends me a birthday gift. Nothing this year. Not that I needed a gift... but it would have been good to hear from her.
Well, it wasn't like I had a bad birthday. It was very good, in fact. Best ever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I feel your pain. I suppose I'm lucky that I don't have siblings to have issues with, though at the same time it would be nice to have someone to keep me connected to my generation of the family. My cousins all seem so distant (probably because I was the only one in California).
I'm sorry to hear that you're not as close to your father as you'd like to be. Growing up, I always liked my father better than my mother, yet since my parents divorced, he's made little effort to keep in touch. My daughter, his only grandchild, has never seen his house, even though we lived less than an hour apart for nearly three years. Now we're doing well to exchange e-mails once a month.
My mother has always gotten on my nerves, but I have to give her credit that she really wants to be involved in my and my daughter's lives. She comes to visit for several weeks every year. My father's been here once, just for the day, despite the fact that he travels to Europe at least twice per year.
I glad you had a great birthday anyhow.
Post a Comment