Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Still Riding the Wagon.

Just made it past my second Christmas sans alcohol.  Didn't break a sweat.  I would, however, like to express my appreciation to Martineli's Sparkling Cider.

Just the other day my wife was helping me look for something, and she ran across a couple of lighters I had around (one in my office desk drawer, and one in my briefcase).

"Are you smoking again?"

"No..."

"You have way more lighters than a non smoker should have"

"Yes, because although the circumstances rarely call for it, it's useful to be able to produce a flame when you need one.  I haven't actually used those lighters in quite some time."

"Are you sure you aren't smoking?"

"Do you think I could possibly hide something from your nose for that long?"

"......."

She may not believe me - mostly because we've had this conversation in the past, and I was lying when I said no.  I wasn't this time, and it felt good,  even if she doesn't believe me.  As bad as it may sound, I'm not sure I care if she believes me.  Like my decision to refrain from alcohol, my endurance as a non-smoker is based solely on promises I made to myself.

No comments: